Thursday 4 July 2013

Kind Events: LUSH Cosmetic's #crueltyfreekisses

"If a man aspires towards a righteous life, his first act of abstinence is from injury to animals" 
—Albert Einstein

I was honoured to attend a very special event last night at LUSH here in Sydney to celebrate the #crueltyfreekisses campaign! I was already a massive fan of the sumptuous range of handmade LUSH cosmetics - but after hearing about their work to stop animal cruelty I love them even more! 


Representatives from both Humane Research Australia and Humane Society International spoke to us about the terrible animal testing that is still going on all around the world! We learned that the vast majority of cosmetic products available in Australia actually come from overseas countries where animal testing regularly occurs. The good news is that in 2013 Europe introduced a ban on selling new animal-tested cosmetics and this month India announced a total ban on animal testing for cosmetics.

Georgie Stewart (Humane Society International) and I @ the LUSH Cruelty Free Kisses Event

I also found out that this Saturday 6th July is International Kissing Day. I totally hadn't known this! Well LUSH has decided that this momentous occasion needs a cruelty-free makeover and will be attempting to set a new Guinness World Record for 'the most lip prints collected in 12 consecutive hours' - FUN! According to HSI's Be Cruelty-Free Communications Director, Wendy Higgins: "A kiss symbolises kindness but there is nothing kind about testing cosmetics on animals so let's join together to kiss goodbye to cosmetics cruelty".

LUSH model Ryan needs your kisses!

After listening to some sobering but extremely important messages, we were given the chance to hand-make our very own LUSH Mint Julips lip scrub from scratch (tasted like delicious after-dinner mints to me!), while being showered with fantastic drinks and nibbles.


Next up the amazing Brooke Hahn - Founder of eco-boutique The Beautiful Think - and I decided that two kisses must be better than one and did our duty all for the cruelty-free cause! ;-)



Just before the evening came to a close I was given my very own personal Emotional Brilliance colour reading, which included finding out my strength, my weakness and my hidden talent. It was very fun and spookily revealing at the same time. You can have a play yourself online!


After an amazingly fun and educational night it was time to head home - but not before picking up my ECOAWESOME goody bag! Inside this LUSH oasis I found:
  • None of Your Beeswax lip balm with no beeswax + plenty of yum
  • Ultrabalm all purpose balm made from plant waxes to protect your bits
  • Toothy Tabs an eco-alternative to toothpaste that makes me giggle when I clean my teeth now
  • Charm lip stick made from Jojoba oil and Candelilla wax
So basically, bliss in a bag! I can't rave about LUSH enough; the staff are so passionate and genuine, the products are both eco AND vegan, and it's all coupled with the mission to make our world a kinder place. Did I mention I love being an ethical fashion and beauty blogger?!

You can connect with LUSH via Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest




No comments:

Post a Comment